SCAG INVITES YOUR HELP IN IMPROVING PROTECTED AREAS GIS DATA
The California Protected Areas Database (CPAD) is a GIS inventory of all parks and other open lands of the state that are owned and managed for open space purposes. With data on over 15,000 units owned by 850 agencies and non-profits, mostly mapped to assessor parcels, CPAD is an outstanding resource for land use planning, recreation information, biodiversity and park need assessments, and more. Learn more about CPAD at www.CALands.org
SCAG has commissioned the non-profit GreenInfo Network, which publishes CPAD, to help it develop improvements to the data set in the six county SCAG region. Once those updates are completed, a new version of CPAD will be released and made available to all SCAG members.
At this point in the project, SCAG would like to invite member agencies to review the data using a new tool created by GreenInfo Network, MapCollaborator. MapCollaborator is a simple online mapping system that allows users to choose an agency, view an agencies' holdings on a web map and use online tools to make notes, draw new parks or propose realignments of existing data, edit current shapes and even upload your own GIS files to the map.
Use new online mapping tool for posting & drawing comments
More information on MapCollaborator
MapCollaborator lets users make recommendations about CPAD data by using open source tools to:
- Choose a location (county, city, or just zoom to a spot on the web map)
- Select lands to review (choose an agency type and a specific agency land owner, see list and map of those lands)
- Add a note - pin a note on the map with comments on a particular site
- Draw a new holding - use a simple drawing tool to draw a new or revised park/open space holding
- Edit a holding - click an existing park and reshape its geometry or revise its attributes
- Upload GIS files - upload your own GIS file (shape file or KML) to review and/or submit to CPAD
This is the first major use of MapCollaborator. Please help us develop ways to improve it. Thank you for your patience and helpfulness on this.